A man in his 60s has been stabbed to death in west London.
Emergency services were called to St Mary’s Avenue South in Southall at 18:40 BST on Saturday where they found the man suffering from a stab wound.
He was pronounced dead at the scene and his next of kin have been informed, the Met Police said.
A man in his 30s has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is in hospital under police guard being treated for minor injuries.
According to a witness who gave the injured man first aid, he was stabbed after leaving a pub.
Raj Grover, who lives near to the victim, said he was getting ready to go to his own birthday party when the man knocked on his front door.
“He was ringing our doorbell,” he told the PA news agency. “He rang the bell and I went out, my son was there, he was shouting ‘Dad, come out’.
“I went downstairs and saw he was full of blood, and then I was running to pick up a towel.
“I put the towel on and I was pressing to stop the blood, then my wife came out, we called the ambulance and the police.”
Mr Grover, who runs a local business, said the victim asked him to call his wife, who then arrived at the house.
“His wife, she mentioned he went to the pub, I don’t know what happened in the pub just around the corner, he came back, was on his way back and somebody stabbed him twice, stabbed him two times with a knife on the stomach and on his side,” he said.
A crime scene and multiple road closures are in place in the area, Scotland Yard said on Saturday evening.
Charlton midfielder Darren Pratley has signed a one-year contract extension.
Pratley, 34, was signed from Bolton in 2018 and helped the Addicks win promotion to the Championship.
His deal was due to expire at the end of this season but he is now under contract at The Valley until 2021.
“Darren has been immense at the start of this season and played such a valuable role at the end of last season,” manager Lee Bowyer told the club website.
“He’s been outstanding. You can’t buy his experience and he’s great with the young lads.”
Police surrounded flats in east London when a man barricaded himself in and threatened to blow up the block.
Nearby residents in Barking were forced to leave their homes after the man also threatened to burn down the building.
Fire and ambulance crews were called to Elsdown House, Wheelers Cross, late on Tuesday, although there were no injuries reported.
A man was later detained and was given medical treatment by paramedics at the scene, the Met Police said.
Evacuated residents, who had been told to go to The Gascoigne Community Centre, in St Ann’s, were later told they could return home.
The son of the UK’s first “successful” heart transplant patient 40 years ago has spoken about how his father “became a celebrity overnight”.
Keith Castle, then aged 52, lived for more than five years after surgery at Papworth Hospital, Cambridgeshire in August 1979.
His son, Keith Jnr, is meeting the surgeon Sir Terence English, 86, to mark the anniversary.
It signalled a new era for transplants and his father became a regular on TV.
Keith Jnr, who was 29 in 1979, said: “Perhaps that was naïve, but the way we saw it was quite simple, really – without the operation dad would have soon died.
“I remember his first words when he came round were along the lines of ‘did Fulham win on Saturday?’
“Dad became a celebrity overnight, really. People would always stop us in the street to talk about what happened.”
Londoner Mr Castle died in 1985, aged 58.
Retired surgeon Sir Terence said he struggled to get government support for the procedure.
“Before [Keith Castle’s] operation I’d been met with tremendous criticism about heart transplantation, including a letter from the Department for Health at the end of 1978 saying there would be no funding and the moratorium on heart transplantation would be continuing,” he said.
“I thought ‘damn that’ and managed to get approval from the Cambridge Area Health Authority – and we went ahead.”
He carried out a transplant on a first patient in January 1979, who survived for a few weeks, and Mr Castle was his second.
“Keith spent 28 days in isolation following the transplant and his success allowed us to generate more funding to ensure the heart transplant programme in the UK could become what it is today,” said Sir Terence.
Surgeons at Papworth have performed about 1,500 heart transplants, including 45 this year.
The hospital, now named the Royal Papworth, completed its move to Cambridge earlier this year.
A history of heart transplants
- The world’s first human-to-human heart transplant was carried out on Louis Washkansky in Cape Town on 3 December 1967, led by South African surgeon Christiaan Barnard. Mr Washkansky, 54, died of pneumonia 18 days later
- The first heart transplant in the UK, on 3 May 1968 was performed by surgeon Donald Ross. The recipient, Fred West, 45, survived for 45 days
- A spate of heart transplants in 1968 and 1969 with short survival rates led to a UK moratorium on the procedure
- Sir Terence English carried out the first heart transplant at Papworth in January 1979. The patient survived for 17 days
- In August 1979, Keith Castle became the first recipient to be discharged from hospital in the UK, living for more than five years
Huddersfield sacked head coach Jan Siewert an hour after losing at home to Fulham, with Ivan Cavaleiro’s superb goal securing victory over the struggling Terriers.
Huddersfield remain winless this season and Siewert had been under growing pressure following Tuesday’s home Carabao Cup defeat by League One Lincoln City.
The visitors had the better of an even first half and took the lead after the break when Juninho Bacuna’s horribly miscued clearance proved to be the perfect cross for Aleksandar Mitrovic to head home.
Town levelled when Karlan Grant’s header from Flo Hadergjonaj’s centre just crossed the line despite the attempts of Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli, but Cavaleiro won it with a wonderful curled finish from just inside the area.
Huddersfield, relegated from the Premier League alongside Fulham last season, have not won in any competition since February and have taken just one point from their first three games this season.
Grant’s header, awarded by the referee with the aid of goal line technology, had looked set to give them a second successive 1-1 draw.
But Wolves loanee Cavaleiro was afforded too much time after Town failed to deal with a looped Steven Sessegnon cross and the Portuguese forward showed his class to secure a second successive league win for Fulham.
Terriers goalkeeper Kamil Grabara had earlier made two good saves from Anthony Knockaert and the score would have been worse but for the performance of the Liverpool loanee.
Siewert said after Tuesday’s defeat by the Imps that he did not fear for his job, but his record stood at one win from his 19 matches when his departure was confirmed.
Huddersfield travel to fellow relegated side Cardiff on Wednesday, while Scott Parker’s side host Millwall on the same evening.
A teenager found dead in Malaysia after vanishing from a family holiday died from internal bleeding probably caused by prolonged hunger and stress, a post-mortem has revealed.
Nora Quoirin’s body was found beside a stream about 1.6 miles (2.5km) from the jungle resort of Dusun on Tuesday.
Malaysian Police said there was no suspicion of abduction or foul play.
The 15-year-old’s unclothed body was discovered following a 10-day search after she disappeared on 4 August.
The teenager died two or three days before she was found, police believe.
Nora was born with holoprosencephaly, a disorder which affects brain development, and had been described by her family as vulnerable.
Her parents had previously said they didn’t believe she would have wandered off alone and suspected she had been abducted.
Negeri Sembilan state police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop said a post-mortem examination had found no evidence that was the case.
Speaking after her body was found, Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin, Nora’s Irish-French parents, said their “hearts are broken” and paid tribute to their daughter as “the truest, most precious girl”.
They said Nora, who lived in London, had “truly touched the world” after her disappearance sparked a huge search operation in Malaysia and good wishes from across the globe.
A book of condolence was opened on Wednesday in Belfast, where Mrs Quoirin is from and the Lord Mayor of Belfast, John Finucane, was the first to sign it.
Nora Quoirin disappearance: Timeline
- 3 August: The Quoirins arrive at the Dusun forest eco-resort
- 4 August: Nora disappears from her room
- 5 August: The Lucie Blackman Trust says Malaysian police are treating Nora’s disappearance as a potential abduction, but officers deny any foul play is involved
- 6 August: Nora’s family say they believe she has been abducted
- 11 August: Malaysian police set up a hotline dedicated to receiving information about teenager
- 12 August: A reward of £10,000 – donated by an anonymous Belfast business – is made available for information leading to Nora’s safe return
- 13 August: A body is found in the search for Nora
A 16-year-old boy has been stabbed to death in north-west London.
Police officers and the London Ambulance Service were called to Munster Square in Camden at about 23:10 BST on Monday.
Scotland Yard said the victim was pronounced dead at the scene and no arrests have been made.
A murder investigation has been launched and a crime scene remains in place. The Met has urged witnesses to come forward.
A large police cordon stretching across a number of roads was in place on Tuesday morning.
Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
Heavy rain and strong winds are causing disruption across the UK with several yellow weather warnings in place.
The Met Office forecasts “unseasonable” conditions – with gusts of 40-50mph in west Wales, Devon and Cornwall, and parts of the Channel coast.
Motorists have been urged to avoid unnecessary travel because of poor driving conditions.
The rain warning covers Whaley Bridge, where residents were recently evacuated after a dam above the town was damaged.
Derbyshire Police said the residents, who were allowed to move home on Wednesday, would be “the first to know”. if the water in the Toddbrook Reservoir reached a “level of concern”.
Weekend thunderstorms could bring flooding, closed roads and power cuts.
A band of heavy rain followed by heavy showers or thunderstorms has been forecast for most of the UK, triggering a rain warning for the whole of Friday.
The Met Office says 10-15mm of rain is widely expected, with as much as 30mm expected to fall in a few hours in some places.
The wind warning covering parts of Wales and south-west and southern England lasts from 15:00 BST until midnight. A similar warning affects most of England and Wales for the whole of Saturday.
The warning of thunderstorms will last through Saturday into Sunday morning, covering Northern Ireland, most of Scotland and northern parts of England.
Neil Armstrong, chief meteorologist at the Met Office, said: “This low-pressure system will bring challenging conditions, including unseasonably strong winds and heavy rain, from the west.”
“Summer storms – compared with those in autumn and winter – always have the potential to create additional impacts because more people are likely to be outdoors, especially by the coast,” he added.
Mr Armstrong said trees in full leaf – as they were in summer – were also more vulnerable to being felled by strong winds.
Richard Leonard, head of road safety at Highways England, urged drivers to check conditions before they travelled and consider whether their journey was necessary.
“In high winds, there’s a particular risk to lorries, caravans and motorbikes so we’d advise drivers of these vehicles to slow down and avoid using exposed sections of road if possible,” he said.
“There is some fairly heavy rain and thunderstorms from Bristol, up through Wales and into Northern Ireland,” a spokesman for the Met Office said.
“That will transfer eastwards over the next few hours, causing poor driving conditions in places.”
The RNLI has warned people visiting the coast to beware of large waves and storms.
Summer events disrupted
The predicted 60mph winds prompted organisers of the Boardmasters music festival in Newquay to call the event off – just hours before its doors were due to open on Wednesday.
Houghton, a dance music festival in Norfolk, was also cancelled just hours before it was due to start, its “devastated” organisers announced on Facebook.
The Bristol International Balloon Fiesta has been scaled back, while the National Eisteddfod music festival in north Wales said it had “contingency plans” in place.
St Annes International Kite Festival in Lancashire has been rearranged for September because of the severe weather, Fylde Council said.
Rail passengers across Scotland faced train delays for almost 24 hours on Thursday after a tunnel flooded following 50mm of rain on Wednesday.
Commuters have been told not to travel from London Waterloo during the rush hour after a fire closed nine platforms.
The lineside blaze damaged cabling outside the station, meaning trains cannot use platforms 16-24.
Network Rail said “significant damage” had been caused to equipment, meaning trains will be delayed or cancelled.
Disruption is expected for the rest of the day while the Thursday morning rush hour may also be affected.
Network Rail said its engineers would be working through the night to fix the damage.
Waterloo is the busiest and largest railway station in the UK.
The platforms which are closed are normally used by trains serving Windsor, Reading, Hounslow, Richmond and Kingston.
However, services from other platforms are also being affected because trains have to be diverted or revised.
- Circular services via Hounslow, Richmond, Strawberry Hill and Kingston have been cancelled
- Trains between Waterloo and Windsor & Eton Riverside are diverted via Kingston
- Trains between Waterloo and Exeter/Salisbury are terminated and will restart from Basingstoke
Passengers were warned that services on other routes may also be subject to short-notice cancellations or delays.
In a joint statement, Network Rail and South Western Railway said commuters were “strongly advised to use alternative routes where possible and check their journeys before travelling at southwesternrailway.com for ticket acceptance and service details”.
Some passengers took to social media to express their frustration at the travel disruption.
One Twitter user described the situation as an “absolute shambles”, while others complained about being given the wrong or no information at all by train station staff.